AAHE4Me

The "virtual conference" for students.

Forums

Forum Home > Hot Topics > Beginning of Semester Stress

MaureenJohnson

As you know, we are quickly approaching the beginning of the fall semester. Does the beginning of the semester stress you out? Why? Also, help each other out with suggestions for managing stress :)

August 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vanessa

The beginning of the semester definently stresses me out! I'm new to the Health Studies department of my school and I want everything to go smoothly!! Lately I have been getting worked up over projects and assignments due.  I need to learn to take one day at a time!! Although, the one way I manage stress the best is by exercising at least three times a week.  Sometimes my body needs the exercise to release the stress of homework overload!  

--
September 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EKALB

Even though it is not the beginning of the semester anymore, I figured out that I am more stressed at the end of the semester. That is when I feel like I have a ton of work to do, and no time to complete it in. I know exercising is a good way to relieve stress, but towards the end of the semester with all my due dates for things, I seem to never have time to exercise.

November 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mahough

The beginning of the semester is very stressful due to the unknown of whats ahead of you. Once you start classes you start getting in a routine of what your day to day life is going to be. Once you start getting used to the routine of the semester, it already seems to be coming to a close. The end of the semester is much more stressful than the beginning  for myself and many other college students that I know. In everyones life there needs to be balance, but finding that balance and maintaining it can be quite difficult for people.

November 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

c.f.

The beginning of the semester is a stressful time due to having to adjust to a new schedule, the balancing of your classes, adapting to your professors and the difficulty of the classes.  Some good activities I use to manage stress are exercising, reading, breaking up my study times with short 15 minute breaks, playing guitar and piano, and my favorite activity for managing stress is yoga.  8)  

December 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vande510

The beginning of the semester stressed me out because you have to get into a new routine of classes and get used to a new schedule.  You also have to get used to the way the different professors teach and how their tests are, how much homework the assign, etc.  To help manage my stress I try to get to know someone in each class so I have a person to study with, work on homework with, or a person to be able to ask questions to.  I also try and make sure i know the requirements of each class and when they're due so I don't have alot of projects due at once.

February 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tkyork

The begging of the semesters are always the most stressfull time of the school year because i have all new classes, new classmates, and new teachers.  The most stressfull part is probably not knowing what teachers to expect.  The ways ive found to minimize this stress is by using a planner, excercising, and forcing my self to talk to my professors.  By doing these things it keeps me in a positive mood and helps me to succeed in my classes

February 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sarah Pavel

In my opinion, the beginning of the semester can and cannot be stressful. It can be stressful because there are unkown expectations of professors, but it can be exciting because everything is new. In other words, the beginning of a semester can be a fresh new start to raise your GPA, and make new friendships. I'd say that towards the middle, more stress is added with simultaneous tests, papers, projects due at once. To overcome this, the gym is probably the best form that I release my concerns and worries. I also make sure that I have a little bit of time for myself every once in a while, whether it watching a movie or spending time with roommates. 

February 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

megancotner

The beginning of the semester is always stressful for me.  Sometimes the  most difficult part is figuring out what teachers expect of you.  However, with being in one department and having the same teachers, that can really help to reduce the stress in the beginning.  After a few weeks, things seem to calm down...until midterms.  Tests are what always stress me out, more so than projects, so this is always a very stressful time of the semester for me.  However, I have just recently learned that exercising really helps me focus.  If I am loosing interest in studying, I exercise and that always help to bring things back into focus.    

February 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jrelsila

The begining of the new semester is so stressfull! Especially now that I am a junior in my health studies program, and all sorts of non in class related subjects are comming up. Now on top of my normal class load I also have to complete professional involvment activities, and begin to work on a portfolio so that hopefully someday I will be able to begin a wonderful career in the health field. Today I took a one and a half mile walk on my campus trail. Talk about stress relief! I even saw a chipmunk! (For about five seconds until he/she darted into the ground to hide from me!)

--

Jessica

September 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TaylaM.

Starting a new semester is rough. I know me personally I begin to think about all of the projects etc. that have to be done and my minds runs from there! But once things get started and I get into the flow of things and it becomes routine.

September 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Heather Breazeale

I always feel like the beginning of new semesters are very stressful. I feel like it takes me forever to establish a new routine between all of my classes. I'm not a fan of walking into a bunch of classes where I have never even met the teacher before and not knowing how that particular teacher grades, etc.

October 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lauren Cole

The beginning of a new semester always stresses me out for a number of reasons.  The first and biggest reason I become stressed out is because it takes me a good two to three weeks to get adjusted in a class and really understand what the class is about and when everything is due.  In a department like Health Studies, where many classes overlap information, it is easy to mix up my classes until I am fully adjusted.  Another big factor contributing to my stress level at the start of a new semester is my professors.  When I begin a new semester with a new professor I have not had previously, I become stressed out.  This is because I am not aware of their teaching style, exam style, etc.  Although I do become very stressed at the start of every semester, the one thing that really seems to help me cope with my stress is organization. Being organized and staying on top of everything really keeps my stress level down because it gives me a sense of confidence that I know what i'm doing and what I should be doing.

October 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Samantha
A professor I had last semester taught us some healthy stress relievers! Always take a break from your work to let your brain and body relax. My professor recommended standing up every hour if you doing a lot of sitting. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress! Daily activity is included. Another relaxing teqnique we learned in class was to sit straight up, preferably eyes closed and let your body relax. Then focus on different muscles, one at a time to tighten up and relax again. Tense and release your muscles to relax your body.
March 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

childressn1

The begining of the semester stress me out. The things that stess me out re getting use to a new schedule and finding out what will be expected of me the whole semester.  Im also comcerned if I can handle all the classes. Some things I do to help lower my stress level is to stay organized by using a planner and take notes of things i need to do. This helps remind me of what needs to be done and when everything  due.

--
July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.