AAHE4Me

The "virtual conference" for students.

Forums

Forum Home > Hot Topics > H1N1 Hype?

MaureenJohnson

Do you think there has been too much media coverage about the H1N1 pandemic?

January 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Carson Creighton

Yes!!! But only because it's scaring people rather than giving them correct and encouraging information about this pandemic.

January 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Emily

I do think that the whole H1N1 was blow out of proportion. My twelve year old sister came home from school crying and worrying that she was going to get it and die. I understand concern and procaution, but the way the media and schools handled the situation was too radical.

January 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deidre M.

Yes very much so, we have the shots to help prevent it, people are getting so worked up over it.  The media plays a big role in it, they always tell us all the bad things that are going on and death rate, when that is all you hear everyone freaks out, but there is a whole other side to it, how about those people that have not been effected, and those people that are perfectly healthy, we never hear about them.  We only hear the bad and fear the worst.

January 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bethanyjo

Most definately! I personally was infected with the H1N1 virus and the reaction I recieved from doctors, friends, and even my family was scary.  They all treated me as if I were a freak of nature, made sure they stayed clear of me, and even went as far as bleach cleaning out entire house! Wow! I couldn't believe everyone was acting so crazy for the FLU!  :tongue:

February 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alsego

My son and I both had it and then I had bacterial pneumonia.  I have never been so sick in my life and everyone kept telling me it was no big deal except for my doctor.  Seems like there should be a happy medium where we do not have to frighten the children but work towards prevention and understanding that "one size does not fit all."  As a policy person, it was interesting to see what policies were in place and how they worked in the real life setting.

February 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Courtney Carlson

MaureenJohnson at January 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Do you think there has been too much media coverage about the H1N1 pandemic?

Yes, I do believe there was a bit too much hype in the media concerning H1N1.  Personally, I feel there may have been some people out there who became a little too hysterical about it.  I am also suspicious about how certain people may have profited from the public's fear of H1N1.

--

Courtney Carlson

September 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.