AAHE4Me

The "virtual conference" for students.

Forums

Forum Home > Hot Topics > Balancing having a job and school

Kaitlyn Schultz

I know first hand that having a job and trying to keep my grades up in college can be very stressful.  I also know that in order to afford anything i have to work though.  how do you handle trying to have a job, keep on task with school, and still have a social life?

Kaitlyn Schultz

January 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Emily

I work 25-30hrs a week depending on my schedule, but I always try to get my homework done before work and during any spare time I have. This does not always work and some nights I end up staying up later than I would like, but I just try to remember that all work and no play is not good either. I take one day out of the week to do something for me whether it is a girls night out for dinner or just a movie at my place. It is a nice hour and a half break from life and stress.

January 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly Yoho

Its bad when you go meet with your advisor for guidance and she gives you a hard time for working because it conflicks with my studying.  I then tell her that I must work to go to school because like most students I pay straight cash and is unable to get many loans... So it is very hard to go to work for 7 hrs then come back to your dorm and try to get focus yet alone have a social life!

February 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kari

Yes i agree that it's very hard to balance work, school, and trying to have a social life!  I work about 4 days during the week, have homework, sorority events, and try to spend time with family and friends.  It gets very stressful and sometimes is hard to get enough sleep.  Can summer vacation hurry up?!

February 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dustin

I know i find myself in a constant battle with work and school. My advice for making this stressor a little easier to handle is to try and find a job close to either school or home.  Also if possible try to have fun at work by socializing on your brakes about anything but work. These are small tips but they do make a difference.

February 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leann Martinez

I think its a lot more complicated than expected. I am always rushing back to campus to make it to class on time.  It is stressfull because when I'm at work I am not able to do anything regarding school so as far as time goes, I have less hours to get all of my work completed. Being a senior, the work load is a little bigger and there is always a project, paper outside of the classroom work to be done.

February 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lindseysk2007

Having a job and trying to balance school can be stressfull. I have a job and go to school. Although when looking for jobs that didn't have crazy hours was hard i did manage to find one at the school age childcare. i would know what to do if i had to work late hours and then go home to complete homework.

February 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lindseysk2007

Having a job and trying to balance school can be stressfull. I have a job and go to school. Although when looking for jobs that didn't have crazy hours was hard i did manage to find one at the school age childcare. i would know what to do if i had to work late hours and then go home to complete homework.

February 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kim

It definitely is a little stressful at times going to school and working. I have two part time jobs and a full load at school.  I just have to set aside time, throughout the week, depending on how much I have to do and then work until I'm finished.  Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed, but luckily my jobs are very flexible and if I get in a bind and need to take a day off to get things done it isn't usually a problem.

February 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jsmith185

I found this very hard to manage at the beginning of the year.  I finally got into a groove and had a system that I stuck to each week.  Having a plan and a routine really helps me.

March 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Courtney Carlson

Kaitlyn Schultz at January 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I know first hand that having a job and trying to keep my grades up in college can be very stressful.  I also know that in order to afford anything i have to work though.  how do you handle trying to have a job, keep on task with school, and still have a social life?

Kaitlyn Schultz

Not only do I try to balance school, my job on campus, and my social life, but I also play lacrosse. I just remember that my sanity and grades ALWAYS come first! And it is always helpful to have friends who understand that sometimes I may be a little busy sometimes. They are very supportive of me and my interests, and are always there if I feel like I need somebody to talk to when it all becomes too much.

--

Courtney Carlson

September 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kslindsey2

I know trting to maintain good grades and having a job in college can be very stressful. The main goal of this problem is try to gain time management. Find a way  to have a good time, get your work done, and still be able to go to work. I know as a 3rd year college student it is not an easy task but it can be done if you really want it to. Try doing homework during your breaks in between classes if time allows you to. Thats what I do. I also head to the library when I am done with work, classes, and meetings for the day. . . That way I have no distractions and my work will be done. :) 

--

Kiairah S. Lindsey

October 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dmcarroll

Trying to manage a job and schoolwork is very stressfull, but it is managable. It all has to deal with time managemnt. If you have a break you should try and get something small done, or if its a really busy day you should really take that time out for yourself and do nothing. Taking 15 minutes a day to yourself can be the key.  But the key is time management. If you can't handle classes and a job, just wait, it only gets worse.

November 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Katie Lambert

I have two jobs while I go to school and it can be very stressful and difficult to juggle everything. I have found it to be very helpful to become friends with my managers and explain to them the situation I am in. By doing this, whenever I have big tests coming up and need a day off they will understand where I am coming from. I also find it to be a tremendous help to have a planner. I write down which homework assignments I plan on doing each day, when my tests will be, and my shifts at work because then nothing is a surprise and I can work ahead of time to balance everything.

November 18, 2010 at 1:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jahuck

Kaitlyn Schultz

I belive that it is incredibly important to take time for yourself.  School can be stressful and can overtake most of your college carreer.  Keeping a planner helps you visually see what needs to be done and when to delegate tasks.  This can help you schedule "alone time" or available time to socialize or do other activities.  Keeping a planner can also help you keep organized and keep calm.  Knowing what you have to do each day can help relieve stress simply by waking up and having a plan, rather than waking up and feeling overwhelmed by whats to come for the day.  So, WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN.  Keep your thoughts straight and delegate when and how long to do certain tasks.  If you have an essay due in two week then delegate an hour or even a paragraph each day to it.  Just remember, take time for yourself - you deserve it!

Julie Huck

November 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ErinB

I work 35 to 45 hours a week and attend school full time. I am definately finding that the more I take on the more stressful it becomes. Throw in there the fact that I have two boys under the age of nine and I basically feel as if I chase my own tail. But I keep telling myself that this too will pass and it will get better!!!

--
November 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

zboey

Yeah when i first started college it was very difficult to do that but as time went by and advice from other i progressed. Now it just feel like everyday life and a normal situation because i am used to the heavy workload and the very busy day. Just have to be determined and ready to tackle any barrier.

November 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jmc624

Kaitlyn Schultz

I think finding that initial balance was the hardest part of working and school. I am a compulsive planner so one of the things that I do is have my calendar planner and it is color coded. Important things are in bright colors so they are easy to remember. Also, if it is a flexible type of job like my current one, I try not to have to work late nights on the days that I have early morning classes following so that I can still be present and attentive in class and get the most out of it. The other thing that helps keep me on track is to keep telling myself that it will all be worth it after getting through with school. That I will get a better job and be able to do what I love to do if I can make it through these last couple very stressful years at school. Make sure to make time for just you at least twice a week as well so you dont stretch yourself too thin and burn out.

January 24, 2011 at 4:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sforsyth

Working while going to college can be extremely stressful.  I know using my planner has helped me find a balance between school, work, and my other activities. I also try to remember to start with school work in the order in which it is due. I also like when classes give you a list of what is due and when, that way I can work on bits and pieces of the homework throughout the semester instead of cramming it all in the day before the due date.

February 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amy Richardson

I work full-time and try to take a few classes each semester.  It's hard to come home to my second job after a full day and take care of the home too and then somehow fit in homework and studying. On top of all that, my husband loves to travel on the weekends.  It is a huge struggle, but I want to complete my degree.  I just have to stay focused and try to balance it all out.  I keep things prioritized and try not to get behind.  I complete the small tasks first and save the larger ones when I have more time.  Be sure to use all the extra time to complete your tasks.  I take my textbooks with me when I know I have to wait while I'm getting my weekly allergy shots.   I catch up on my reading when I arrive to class early.  Hang in there! You can do it!

Amy

--

Amy Richardson:)

February 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.