AAHE4Me

The "virtual conference" for students.

Forums

Forum Home > Hot Topics > Balancing having a job and school

Melanie Saros

Although some days I wonder why I work so much on top of being a full time student I feel as though the busier I am, the more organized I stay. I work four nights a week at a restaurant on top of taking 18 credit hours this semester. If I know I only have two hours before work to do my homework, I prioritize what needs to be done. My advice for all is to make to-do lists. When you feel like your to-do list is never ending just look at all the things you've already accomplished!

February 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PhDBound

Being in school and having a job can get very stressful if you don't know how to manage your time. I know from experience. In my first semester of college I worked 20 hours a week and I ran track. That’s 35 hours a week minimum I spent away from school time. So I never had time to study. Since then I’ve never worked that much and my grades improved. Also, I think getting a job on campus is very beneficial. It beats having to rush form off-campus to get to a class.

September 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TaylaM.

I can definitely relate to this. I am a full-time student and I work 2 jobs, plus I am in a sorority, which is like having a 3rd job!! And at times I just want to scream because I get so stressed. But I try my best to manage my time. I have to write everything down in my planner so that I wont forget because I have so much going on, even if it's something small like; pick up dry cleaning.

September 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hmmchugh9008

It is very hard! I am taking 20 credits, am an Anatomy TA, working two jobs, writing two theses, and am a member of three organizations and leading a fourth. It is very time consuming and makes it hard to find time for proper health maintenance, like healthy eating habits and exercising. It does help me that I walk everywhere, but that takes out time that I could be working on homework which I would have if I drove instead. As for having a social life, the majority of social activity I have is during work and during the group meetings. Any other time I have interaction socially is through texting or Facebook. It helps me to still keep in contact with my friends with out cutting them off completely because of school.

October 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.